Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Dream


I think you'd agree that we all need an escape these days.  Although it's more relevant now, I actually came up with this idea a year ago. At the time I was needing a project.  Stress at work was bleeding into time at home.  I was injured - so, there was no race training to plan. My escape was to imagine a dream trip around the world.
The rules were that ideally the location of my trip each day had to be within driving distance of where I was the day before.  There will be a few exceptions to that when I'm crossing major bodies of water of course.
If I were going on the actual trip I would prefer to travel is decent weather - so, in the summer I'll be in the northern hemisphere and in the winter (for the northern hemisphere) I'll be down south.
I'm using the UNESCO World Heritage Site list as a template - especially in countries other than the United States.
I've already planned the trip for the most part. I will start April 1st, starting from Milwaukee (where I live) and "driving" to my first destination.  So far I have over 90 countries on my itinerary. If I actually make it, my entire planned trip around the world will be complete sometime in August or September of 2022.  That's a long time.  I have no idea if this project will keep my interest for that long. There's only one way to find out!
I'm going to try to keep it simple. I'm not going to be making a whole lot of commentary - mostly just the facts.  How I would get there, the weather, history, places to visit etc.  In larger cities I'll have a post on a second day for "one place" I'd visit there if I could only visit one place.
There will be four main types of places that I'll visit:
1) Cities
2) Archaeological sites
3) National Parks
4) Historic sites (battlefields etc)

Each of these will have a template that I'll update as I go along.  If you have any suggestions let me know!

Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment