Thursday, May 7, 2020

One Place Washington, DC - Arlington National Cemetery

Choosing one place in Washington, DC is difficult. But, if I had to choose one place I'd choose Arlington National Cemetery. Which I know is actually in Arlington, VA - but close enough. I find cemeteries interesting overall because I think it's telling to see how a society honors its dead - especially a military cemetery like Arlington.  Ever since I was a child the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has fascinated me.  It's the most visited part of the cemetery and yet we literally don't know who is buried there.  The changing of the guard is both technically interesting (I remember thinking as a kid that they didn't seem like real people) and a symbol of our country.
Kendra and I were living in Baltimore when Obama was sworn into office in 2009.  I wanted to go - but knew that getting to the mall was going to be difficult. So, I did something odd - I parked my car in Rock Creek Park and ran into DC.  When I got there I decided I didn't want to be a part of the big mobs of people on the mall - so I ran over to Arlington.  First of all it provides a great view of the mall and I wanted to experience the moment in a unique way. I made my way to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier just before the swearing in at noon.  Just as we were changing the guard of our presidency they were changing the guard at the Tomb.  As Obama finished his oath I heard a huge cheer from the people on the mall.  Definitely one of my greatest memories. I discussed it more in my old running blog.
Arlington is much more than just the Tomb or JFK's graves.  There are lots of nooks and crannies with graves of very interesting people. The site was the former house of the Confederate General Robert E. Lee. When the Northern leaders were picking a place for a national military cemetery they decided that it should be on the grounds of his old house - since by becoming a traitor to the union he had in effect caused many of their deaths.  And along with the history, it is just a very beautiful place.

Website: Arlington National Cemetery

Images: 
Robert E. Lee's old house in the background. (from trolleytours.com)

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (from washington.org)



No comments:

Post a Comment