Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Picton, ON

Place: Picton, ON
Weather: Sunny, 63/82F
Route: From Toronto 212km east on ON-401 E, County Rd 40, Prince Edward County Rd 1.
Genealogy: This is the birthplace of my maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather - Orville Weese, who was born there in 1866.  Picton was originally founded by loyalists in the 1780's after the end of the American Revolution.  Being on the losing end - Britain compensated those who had stuck with them a fought against the revolution by giving them some land in Canada - among other compensation.  So, it's possible that I have some Benedict Arnolds in my family. Although, the furthest this part of my tree goes back is Orville's grandfather Benjamin, who was born in Canada in 1800.  So, I don't have any definitive proof that they came from the United States - rather than directly from across the pond - but it's likely given the percentage of people in the surrounding area whose families were loyalists.
To give Orville a break - he was born almost 100 years after the revolution and he was a good grandpa to my grandpa.  So, here's a picture of him and my great-great grandma Anna.  I have stopped by Picton - it's a pretty place with a small picturesque harbor.

Images:

Anna and Orville Weese

Aerial view of Picton Harbor (from pictongazette.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment